International Travel

Register your Travel

Register for the UC's free Travel Insurance.  Coverage includes medical care and evacuation, loss of personal property, extraction services, and more. Arrangements made through Connexxus are automatically enrolled, except for Southwest Air. For Southwest or reservations made outside Connexxus, you must register your trip.

Expenses and Restrictions

It is the responsibility of the traveler to understand which expenses can be reimbursed according to the University of California Business and Finance Bulletin G-28, Policy and Regulations Governing Travel and U.S. Government regulations, and to report his or her actual travel expenses in a timely and ethical manner.

Each campus Controller's Office provides oversight of which travel expenses are allowable on their campus.

Health and Safety Considerations

Health, Weather, and Civil Unrest Advisories

Use iJet’s travel planning tool, Worldcue Planner, before booking business or personal trips (domestic or international). This tool includes information on health issues, required immunizations, safety and security, culture, language, transportation, weather, and currency exchange rates. By registering your travel, you receive real-time alerts, text or email, as you travel. The free service is available to anyone with a UC email. The information is gathered from the Department of StateCDCWHO, CIA, and international press. 


Some vaccine courses take several weeks to complete. Be sure to start early, and get your staff started early. Students should use their respective student health clinic. Employees should access their regular provider. After using the iJet planner, you will have a list of suggested immunizations. Call your provider beforehand to ensure it is covered and on hand, some clinics will have to order these supplies! Check your Department of Public Health if you are having trouble locating a stocked facility. Allow time for repeat visits, and ensure the records get to your regular patient file. UC travelers returning from high incident tuberculosis areas require a TB skin test or symptom review (no cost) 12 weeks following their return. Contact your respective campus's Occupational Health Office before you return to work to initate return to work clearance documentation.

Traveling with Medications

Contact the embassy to ensure your medication is legal, available, or requires a prescription at your destination. Carry a letter from your prescribing physician describing the condition and the medications, including the generic names of prescribed drugs, packed alongside the medication.  Carry copies of all prescription labels. Border crossing can be delayed when drugs are re-packaged.

Access to Care While Abroad

After registering your travel, you have access to 24/7 referral to health resources in your area. If you are planning on a remote sojourn, the system can identify best choices for care. Work with Risk Management to plan your trip. UC business travelers who become ill or injured (including blood borne pathogen exposure), or have symptoms of communicable disease should contact Occupational Health prior to returning to work.

Emergency Supplies

If you are working remotely with an established group, determine what emergency supplies are on hand for staff. Is their post-exposure prophylaxis kit on hand, and not expired? If medical supplies are short, are there sufficient stocks to deal with a staff emergency? Do they re-use needles?  If you are sick, how will you be cared for? Talk to people on site or recent returnees. If you are organizing the trip you have defined minimum standards of care you must provide to your UC employees. 


In an emergency- contact your UC contracted travel insurance company on the card you printed after registering. They have responders online 24/7 and can facilitate local interventions as well as having a person onsite if that is needed. When care has been initiated, contact your work contacts, risk management, and occupational health.

Return to Work Clearance

Travelers returning from high incident Tuberculosis areas require a TB skin test or symptom review 12 weeks following their return. Call your campus Occupational Health Services to determine how they document your return to work clearance.

Need more information? Contact the Global HUB

Last updated: May 21, 2015